Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Child Humor

Today is the first day of school for the students of Washington County and my third year as a retired school teacher. My thoughts have been on some of the adorable things the children have said through the years. You can learn a lot and enjoy a good laugh from the wisdom and words of children. I have written many of those memories down through the years that bring joy to my life when I read them and I would like to share a few of them today.

Friendly Indians
One morning I was reading my second grade students the story, “Little House on the Prairie”. It was specifically about the part where they were concerned if the Indians they were about to meet on the trail would be friendly. My class consisted of several Nationalities, including Native American. Wishing to be politically correct, I proceeded to explain the historic situation in the time of the old west, assuring them that the Indians were friendly. One wide -eyed Indian boy sitting at my feet on the Reading rug replied sincerely with an innocent smile and dark eyes shining, “I’m a friendly Indian.!”
Southern Gentlemen
One hot afternoon while leading my class of second graders’ across town for a field trip, I over heard
some of my students engaged in a rather interesting conversation and I found it difficult not to laugh right out loud. First of all, I need to back up and tell you about the two participants. Ryan was a handsome intelligent boy who had moved to my class in Utah from one of the Southern states and had a cute little southern accent. Needless to say the girls all had crushes on him. One girl in my class, Kristine liked him too. Kristine was popular and used to getting what she wanted, which at this point was Ryan. However, Ryan had not one bit of interest in her. Finally, after all afternoon trying to get his attention, she finally became exasperated and screamed, “I hate you Ryan!” I waited for the reaction to see if I needed to intercede. In true Southern Gentlemen fashion, Ryan drawled, “Well-ll-ll then I suppose we have something in common, don’t we.”
Old but classy
My second grade students had been writing short stories all year and we were in the process of helping them publish a little book of their favorite writings. As one little girl and I were editing her story, I almost had to chuckle, when I read her perspective of me. “My teacher is old, but she has pretty clothes.”

2 comments:

Carol L. said...

I really enjoyed this post JQ, it was so funny. Kids will be kids.

P.S. I started a new blog today on my prose writings. The title is "The Light Side of Life...prose writings by C. J.". There is a link for it on each of my blogs.

CJ

JQ said...

Thanks for your comment. I'm going to get on your blog and read your new prose. You are good at it!